Catoctin Creek Aqueduct

C&O Canal Towpath – Mile Marker 51.5
The original Catoctin Aqueduct was completed in 1834. This was also called the “Crooked Aqueduct” because of the sharp turns before and after it on the canal. It was made of granite from Ellicott Mills in Baltimore county. Since it uses two different kinds of arches: elliptical in the center, and Roman on the side, the two stresses do not balance each other, and are prone to failure. Restoration of the aqueduct using many original stones was completed on 25 October 2011.